South Stack Lighthouse and the Remains of the Holyhead Telegraph Station
The ruins on South Stack are the remains of the old Holyhead Telegraph Station which was the western end of a chain of semaphore signalling stations linking Holyhead with Liverpool.
The Holyhead Telegraph Station was installed by the Trustees of Liverpool Docks in 1827 and transmitted a message visually by means of movable arms and could convey a simple message over a distance of 75 miles in just one minute.
The South Stack lighthouse, that was constructed in 1808 and provided a for the Liverpool shipping lane and Irish Packet service. The South Stack lighthouse was automated in 1984.